text/html; charset=utf-8" /> Lovescool – For the Love of Dessert » Blog Archive » Are You Ready America?

March

Are You Ready America?

Green tea Kit Kat

New Yorkers are able to get the finest handmade chocolates, gourmet pastries and specialty desserts, but when it comes to fun flavors in traditional candy, forget it. As much as New York likes to think it has everything, residents are still subject to the same candy limitations as the rest of America. I was recently reminded of how unadventurous our candy is when my friend Janice brought me a Green Tea Kit Kat from Japan. This candy is fun and completely different in both color and flavor from any candy bar in American stores today. The bright green Kit Kat is made of traditional vanilla wafers coated in a creamy green tea flavored white chocolate. It is surprisingly good, and much more fun than the average milk chocolate variety. I would be impressed if this one flavor was available locally, but in Japan green tea is just one of many options: lemon cheesecake, melon, passion fruit and other seasonal flavors are also available.

Japanese Green Tea Kit Kat

Japan may be more adventurous than most countries, but I believe America is ready for the variety. A Green Tea Kit Kat is just one example of the unique twists on candy available in the world, and we need a brave candy store to bring it all together locally. A dream come true would be the equivalent of a store like Dylan’s Candy Bar, dedicated entirely to international candy. They should import the candy exactly as is, complete with international labels and unique packaging. It’s more fun not to be able to read the nutritional information on the back anyway.

Japanese Green Tea Kit Kat

Thank you Janice!

Tea says on March 31st, 2005 at 5:57 pm:

Yum!! That looks so good! I want a boxful of those! =) Maybe I can find some in the Oriental stores here in Canada. *crosses fingers*

Sophie says on March 31st, 2005 at 6:51 pm:

OoOooOOooO that looks awesome – suppose they also had *gasp* RED BEAN KIT-KAT!!!!!!!!

Angela says on March 31st, 2005 at 9:51 pm:

I had the chance to sample the green tea Kit Kat while I was in Japan this January. I had seen it on someones blog and I made sure to find it when I got to Japan, plus I bought white chocolate Kit Kat, too. I was also in Hong Kong, but couldn’t find it. My relatives who live in Hong Kong didn’t even know about it, until I brought one back for them.

Robyn says on March 31st, 2005 at 10:43 pm:

Wow, that looks yummy! And I agree with Sophie; someone bring on the red bean Kit Kat! ;D I also like how a lot of Japanese candy is seasonal. I recently got some “winter” chocolate and cookie mushroom-shaped thingies and some sweet potato Koala’s March cookies.

One of my British friends who used to live here said that Kit Kat bars in England are better than in the US. Do we just have sucky Kit Kat bars?

Jessica says on March 31st, 2005 at 10:51 pm:

Hmm, seems like other countries get all the cool flavors. I think Europe has curry-flavored potato chips or something. I thought all their stuff was so cool when I went there! But when I saw Europeans at a supermarket here, they marvelled over peanut butter and our choice of jams. I thought they were making a big deal out of nothing. :-)

Even though NY doesn’t have an international candy store, you can get some imported candy at Buon Italia (Chelsea Market), Economy Candy (LES) and Aji Chiban (Chinatown). You must try the Lion Bar from Economy! It’s a mixture between 100 Grand and a Kit Kat. I also like Kinder (don’t know if it’s available here.) It’s a chocolate -coated wafer filled with hazelnut cream. I love European candy bars…the stuff here is way too sweet, and the chocolate is grainy.

Kelli says on March 31st, 2005 at 11:04 pm:

Yes, I do think we just have bad Kit Kat bars in the US! According to Hershey, Kit Kats are the number one selling candy bar in the UK. They have flavors like strawberry, peanut butter, vanilla, caramel and a “seasonal” blood orange variety for Halloween.

Thanks for the tips about where to get international candy in New York. I did find Kinder Eggs in a grocery store on the Uppper West Side once, but it’s inconsistent since the eggs are technically illegal (the US considers them a choking hazard for children). Maybe they should lift the ban, and start carding Kinder Egg customers :)

keiko says on April 2nd, 2005 at 8:50 pm:

Hi Kelli – I’m glad I found this post as I just made a post about green tea dessert! I should know this matcha kit-kat, but I haven’t been to Japan for almost 3 years and don’t really know what’s going on there… (it’s sad, I know) I agree that Japanese are quite adventurous when it comes to sweets, which I think is a good thing :)

Sweetnicks says on April 2nd, 2005 at 9:37 pm:

A green tea Kit Kat, eh? Certainly sounds interesting, but not sure of the yummyness factor yet. I’ve seen and tried the White Chocolate Kit Kats, but they didn’t do anything for me. I added a link for you on my blog. :)

McAuliflower says on April 2nd, 2005 at 11:34 pm:

Man, and I got excited by the dark chocolate kit kats… these are cool!

Delani says on April 19th, 2005 at 9:48 pm:

Hi there! I ordered these off http://www.jlist.com and they are sooo good! Also Pocky makes a delicious green tea treat too(found it in Boston Chinatown but is probably available in NY as well)I agree we need a store with all international candies!

Kelli says on April 20th, 2005 at 7:25 am:

Thanks for telling me about j-list, I haven’t seen that before. I agree with you about the green tea Pocky. There’s a fun tool online that helps you decide which flavor Pocky you are. You can pick them up in most Asian grocery stores around NYC and Westchester.

Kelli says on April 20th, 2005 at 7:26 am:

btw — I’m “Chocolate Pocky”. It figures :)

cecily says on August 31st, 2005 at 6:16 pm:

I was just in Canada and got a chance to try the peanut butter big kit kats and they’re totally awesome!!!! Does anyone know any websites I might be able to purchase them from????

Annie says on January 24th, 2006 at 6:19 am:

I think this looks funky!
here in the Uk we have Red Berry and Orange and caramel in the editions range and various flavours of normal sized ones for example: strawberries and cream, mint, white chocolate, normal, dark etc.
we also have Kit Kat chunkiies which are the best YUMMY!!