text/html; charset=utf-8" /> Lovescool – For the Love of Dessert » Blog Archive » For the Love of Mom

May

For the Love of Mom

In some form or another, I eat chocolate almost every day. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t eat much, but I usually manage to find a little cookie or candy of some sort to have a bite of. I told this to Andrew once and he was in total shock. I told a few other people at work this and they were also shocked. It seemed so normal to me I couldn’t understand why people were so surprised. Then I went home and asked my mom “Mom, do you think it’s strange that I eat chocolate almost every day?” and she replied, “Of course not, I do too!” It was that moment that I realized that my habits seemed so normal because that’s how I grew up. Cookies for breakfast? No problem. M&Ms for a snack? No problem. My mom’s trick was to control how much she ate, not necessarily how often. One dessert a day was enough (well, on most days), and whatever she decided to eat had to be worth it. No wasted calories on fake chocolate syrups and diet stuff.

In honor of Mother’s Day and our long shared love of desserts, I have compiled a list of the top five desserts that remind me of my mom. When I eat these classic desserts today, I always think of the past and wish my mom was there to share it with me.

Top 5 Mom Desserts:

1. See’s Assorted Chocolates

The holidays wouldn’t be complete at my house without a box of See’s Assorted Chocolates. My mom can identify each flavor by sight alone, and we were never left guessing which was which. While I loved eating that box of See’s candy, the best part about See’s is actually visiting the store. You get a free sample with every order (even if you only ordered one piece to begin with) and it’s usually one of their top sellers like the Bordeaux.

2. Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies

Conveniently located in malls across America, Mrs. Fields was my first introduction to big cookies and thick brownies (although my mom used to make me share half of one with my sister.) I still walk by Mrs. Fields today hoping to catch free samples out on the counter.

3. Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies

Do you see a theme to this short list? My mom always said a house is not a home until a batch of chocolate chip cookies has been baked. She also said that you can tell how good the chocolate chip cookies will be by how good the dough tastes, but I think that’s just an excuse to eat the dough.

4. M&Ms

A quick chocolate fix could always be had at my house by grabbing a few M&Ms from the candy dish. For a quick supply at work, my mom has a miniture bin of M&Ms from Dylan’s Candy Bar, which comes with a convenient little scoop for sharing.

5. Junior Mints

Junior Mints were meant to serve as the “Low Fat” chocolate option in my house. Instead of M&Ms, my mom would store a box of Junior Mints in the cabinet for an afternoon chocolate snack. Of course I usually ate twice as much, and the box was gone long before the M&Ms.

Happy Mother’s Day Mom, Grandma and Aunt K!

See’s Candies
www.seescandies.com

Mrs. Field’s
www.mrsfields.com

Debbie says on May 9th, 2005 at 12:50 pm:

Yep, that’s the top 5! If there was room for one more, it would be chocolate, caramel brownies. Thank you for a wonderful mother’s day and such a fitting tribute!

tanvi says on May 9th, 2005 at 3:13 pm:

mmm bordeux from see’s candies is my favorite! funny, but your top 5 happen to ring true for my top 5 things during childhood, too :-)

Nic says on May 9th, 2005 at 3:58 pm:

I guess I’m not the only one who has a mom with the same top 5 treats, except she would go for the peanut butter cookie at Mrs. Fields.

Kristin says on May 9th, 2005 at 5:38 pm:

I agree! Good choice for the top five, now let’s go eat them!

muccapazza28 says on May 9th, 2005 at 8:17 pm:

If you came in Italy: Pasticceria Cioccolateria del Giamberlano in Pavullo nel Frignano Modena.
A delicius chocolate.

Ray says on May 9th, 2005 at 9:07 pm:

OK, I’ve read enough! As the husband of the chocoholic mentioned herein, as well as the father of the talented author of this article, I feel compelled to tell your readers the truth about the unintended results of living amongst the dessert obsessed. For I am the poor victim that nobody thought to mention. In my 26 years of marriage to my chocoholic wife I have had no choice other than to partake in the sinful consumption of the desserts put before me. The result: I have ballooned from my newlywed weight of 145lbs to the inexcusable level of 150lbs. I am so ashamed!

McAuliflower says on May 10th, 2005 at 1:37 am:

Awwww this is a cute entry, wish I thought to do it ;)

My Mom’s contribution to my smack…er, chocolate habit: the ever present bowl of ganache on our kitchen counter.

Kelli says on May 10th, 2005 at 7:16 am:

Hi Ray, AKA Dad — From all of us who have to go to the gym at just the thought of chocolate — WE HAVE NO PITY on you and and your 150lbs :)

joyce Sattar says on May 10th, 2005 at 1:52 pm:

Dubai International Airport
If you happen to be in the Middle East and your route pass through Dubai , United Arab Emirates, The Dubai International airport is the best place to shop for assorted chocolates from leading brands like M& M, Snickers, Nestle Twinkies , Merci, Rocher, Galaxy, Cadbury, Lindt, Van Houten….all delicious stuff, which you can bring to your love ones and friends, I did it 4 times when we were sent by our company for the Middle East Electricity Exhibition and when I went to Philippines for vacation.

Jennifer Manicotti says on May 10th, 2005 at 9:05 pm:

Andrew’s really been AWOL from comments and these posts – where the heck has been hiding?

Kelli says on May 11th, 2005 at 7:57 am:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and tips for international dessert destinations. (I just have to get out of NYC now!) Hopefully you all had a happy Mother’s Day filled with lots of great dessert :)

Coco says on May 11th, 2005 at 3:17 pm:

I eat chocolate every day, too! A salad for lunch with chocolate for dessert is much better than a burger or something like that.