text/html; charset=utf-8" /> Lovescool – For the Love of Dessert » Blog Archive » The Time is Now

May

The Time is Now

It is official. I put in my two weeks notice at my full time job and I’m getting ready to leave the corporate world for baking. This is something I have been considering for months, and have decided it’s time to take my love of dessert more seriously (well, as seriously as dessert should ever be taken.) Once I decided this was the path I wanted to go down, things started to fall into place. I called the Polka Dot Cake Studio to order a cake for Andrew and as I was placing the order with the head baker, Marissa, she said “I have to go now and interview someone.” I hung up the phone and immediately knew I should have asked more.

Within 10 minutes I called back and Marissa asked me to come in to see the bakery. I had to stop myself from running over to the shop that second since I was so excited. I went to Polka Dot Cake Studio this past weekend and spent an hour in the kitchen making Passion Fruit filling. So far so good for me, and I am excited about helping out at this great bakery. To keep my rent covered and the technical side of my brain challenged, I will continue to consult as an Information Architect. I feel incredibly lucky to have so many great options and am excited to start this next phase of my life. It still feels strange for me to say out loud “I want to be a baker,” but it is quite a relief to get out. I feel like my secret identity has been revealed, and I’m finally able to pursue my love for dessert during daylight hours, not under the cover of darkness after a long day at work.

As Andrew wrote in the “About” section, Lovescool was started to find out what it takes to start something new. I now know the answer to this question is a complicated one. It requires some crazy mix of passion, bravery, planning and sheer luck. It also takes a few encouraging words, and I thank my family and friends for their support, and all of you for your great comments along the way. I have a lot to learn and I’m not sure where this journey will take me. My ultimate goal is to own my own cafe/bakery one day, so I’m starting out with that in mind.

For now I’ll focus on the adorable cakes at Polka Dot and continue researching the seemingly unlimited number of great desserts available in the world! Stay tuned…

Thanks Andrew for telling me to just “do it.”

Kenneth Berger says on May 17th, 2005 at 11:27 am:

You are awesome. Live the dream!

Nicky says on May 17th, 2005 at 11:53 am:

Hi Kelli,
sounds really great! Seems like destiny has some “sweet” plans for you – I’m curious for some detailed stories about your experience at the Polka Dot Cake Studio (funny name btw). All the best, love your blog :)

Kevin Fox says on May 17th, 2005 at 11:54 am:

Congratulations! I think this is fantastic.

Laura says on May 17th, 2005 at 11:56 am:

Very inspiring! I remember my dreams…..thank you.
p.s. Your site is just so rad!

alizinha says on May 17th, 2005 at 12:17 pm:

yay!

jennifer says on May 17th, 2005 at 12:32 pm:

Many best wishes on this amazing endeavor!!! Sounds like you’ll have fun. Hurray for doing what you love!

Kelli says on May 17th, 2005 at 12:46 pm:

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! I hope you’re all able to do what you love too.

Beastmomma says on May 17th, 2005 at 1:27 pm:

That is a very inspirational tale.

Sophie says on May 17th, 2005 at 2:32 pm:

Someone please answer this question posted a while back on the “Starting your own chcolate business article…

“…I have visited his store [Jaques Torres] in Brooklyn and loved it, i also bought a couple of his cookbooks and use them all the time! I had tried this idea once before and found that the chocolate stuck to the ballons and when I deflated them, my bowls crumbled with the balloon. Is there something that I should use on the balloon to prevent this? Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea!…”

Mariko says on May 17th, 2005 at 2:56 pm:

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, and I must say CONGRATULATIONS on your big decision. What a sweet life!

Rachel says on May 17th, 2005 at 3:15 pm:

yay! best of luck!

Robyn says on May 17th, 2005 at 8:31 pm:

That’s AWESOME, congratulations!

Debbie says on May 17th, 2005 at 10:58 pm:

Go for it!

Chad says on May 17th, 2005 at 11:08 pm:

Congrats, Kelli. I’m very happy for you. Looking forward to trying your cakes next time I’m in town.

Candy says on May 18th, 2005 at 12:14 am:

Congratulations! The thought of you at Polka Dot, which is one of my favorite bakeries in the city, makes all the sense in the world.

McAuliflower says on May 18th, 2005 at 1:02 am:

Excellent!
Sweet dreams do come true

Lori says on May 18th, 2005 at 8:45 am:

Go girl! The dessert world will get better because you’re in it. Hopefully by the time I get to visit the States again, I can eat dessert at your very own bakery. :)

All the best,
lori (fellow dessert lover who just started her own dessert blog as well).

Crystal says on May 18th, 2005 at 12:06 pm:

Congratulations, Kelli! Just coming out of lurking to say that I love, love, love your site, and am so happy that you’re able to do what you love. Can’t wait to read more about it!

Jess says on May 19th, 2005 at 1:50 am:

That’s a fantasy as ethereal as powdered sugar. I wish you much luck — the kind with the rainbow sprinkles on top. Congrats, Kelli.

Jacqueline says on May 19th, 2005 at 9:47 am:

Congrats and best of luck!

I’m sure you’ve already heard of him, but here’s a story about the guy who quit his job as a lawyer and founded Cakelove Bakery and Love Cafe in DC.

Link to Story

Kelli says on May 19th, 2005 at 10:19 am:

Thanks Jacqueline, you’re filled with good information! I haven’t heard of this story (Warren Brown, founder of Cake Love) before and I’m glad you sent the link. I’d like to say I’m original in my plan to leave the corporate world for baking, but I know I’m just one of many that has had the same dream. I’m always glad when it works out for someone like Cake Love did. I think (I hope) there’s enough room in this world for us all to pursue our love of baking.

Ivan Kirigin says on May 19th, 2005 at 3:40 pm:

Awesome!

Is there something akin to “break a leg!” for bakers? How about “break an egg!”?!

Good Luck!

Abigail Kirigin says on May 19th, 2005 at 3:50 pm:

I hope to be as inspired as you are someday! You’re a role model…

Doc says on May 19th, 2005 at 4:06 pm:

Way to go, Kelli! It’s always great to hear of someone taking steps to live their dream. Look forward to posts about your experience. And for Sophie is post #9 above – Google “tempered chocolate” and find the instructions for tempering. Baking911.com has some info on the use of balloons too.

Kelli says on May 19th, 2005 at 8:05 pm:

I think you’ve started a new saying Ivan. I love it! Thank you.

debbie says on May 20th, 2005 at 2:51 pm:

I’m a little late to this party but I simply have to say MAZEL TOV! I’m so excited for you, and a little jealous, too. What fun you’re going to have! And Polka Dot is a great place to start.

Clarice Park says on May 23rd, 2005 at 10:20 am:

Okay, so I’m way late joining this bandwagon. But I did want to say that it takes a certain amount of courage to leave the cushiness of corporate America to pursue your dream. Way to go, Kelli! Polka Dot Bakery has got a new asset in you!

Jason Licker says on May 29th, 2005 at 6:05 pm:

Kelli,
I am sure you are kicking some….over there! Best Wishes!!

ross says on April 20th, 2007 at 6:36 pm:

i just found your blog and have determined that you are my baking hero!