text/html; charset=utf-8" /> Lovescool – For the Love of Dessert » Blog Archive » Charm City Cakes

June

Charm City Cakes

Charm City CakesMost cakes are girly. They usually have flowers and frilly borders that are perfect for events like weddings, showers and kid’s birthday parties. When it comes time for a celebration like Father’s Day, it is difficult to find something masculine enough that will work. Many bakeries offer cakes in the shape of shirts or ties around this time of year, but what dad wants to be reminded of work during his special day?

While searching for a cake that would work for Father’s Day, I found Charm City Cakes, a bakery in Maryland that specializes in custom designed cakes. Owner and Baker, Duff Goldman, studied at the Culinary Institute of America and is also a former graffiti artist with degrees in philosophy and physics. His style of cake decorating reflects his unique background, and his cakes are incredibly fun, creative and appropriate for Dad (and Mom and just about everyone else you know.)

Chef Duff will make any kind of cake you can dream of. He recommends picking out a shape that would really say something about the person the cake is for. Golf ball, BLT and Guiness CakesSome examples that would work for Father’s Day include a Porshe Boxter, golf ball, guitar, pint of Guinness, BLT sandwich, sail boat and a replica of Wrigley Field. He also makes abstract pieces that are perfect for the Dad that can’t be represented by a single object. Once you determine the shape, you’ll be able to choose from a large list of flavors like Bananas Foster, Lemon Poundcake, Smores, Egg Nog, Ginger and Green Tea, Pear Spice, Chocolate Cherry and many, many more that are sure to fit any taste.

At Charm City Cakes your options are limitless. For my dad, I’d would choose something in Milk Chocolate or Pistachio flavor. As for the shape, I’d have to go with a guitar. Or maybe an old Mustang. Or maybe a replica of him on a lounge chair in his favorite spot in Hawaii surrounded by an endless supply of Coke. I’m sure Chef Duff could handle anything I asked for.

Charm City Cakes
www.charmcitycakes.com
410-235-9229

Jade Walker says on June 12th, 2005 at 7:53 pm:

Oooh, those are lovely. For more extravagant desserts, check out Mike’s Amazing Cakes – http://www.mikesamazingcakes.com/. He made an iPod cake for my 30th birthday that turned out beautifully – http://www.jadedwritings.com/NewFiles/cake2.jpg

angela says on June 13th, 2005 at 8:00 pm:

A close friend had one of Charm City’s cakes for both her wedding and baby shower. They are not only beautiful, but they are extraordinarily delicious. I really don’t like cake very much, and I detest icing, but I ate huge slices of this cake. It was chocolate with peanut butter icing!

denette buenrostro says on February 20th, 2006 at 9:01 pm:

do you ship to texas? san antonio to be exact?
denette

Ashley Jung says on March 30th, 2006 at 5:36 pm:

do you know where I could find a picture of a cake in the shape of a ski boat? Do you have any?
Thanks!!!

Cars Insurance says on August 27th, 2006 at 12:15 am:

Cars Insurance…

rambler Eccles returns?lost brazier.Online Car Insurance http://www.theonlinecarinsurance.com/

buy hydrocodone says on August 27th, 2006 at 7:09 am:

buy hydrocodone buy hydrocodone

crystal says on October 25th, 2006 at 8:27 am:

these cakes are very interesting and i would love to
see the deck of cards with the ace of spades and the
name of the school on it or the aces john a holmes

Sarah Sherwood says on January 1st, 2007 at 1:47 am:

How could I possibly get one of those cakes all the way to Texas? I absolutely love them.

teatime says on March 21st, 2007 at 1:05 pm:

Yeah, they look great, but at $20 per serving, who can afford it? I’d love to get something unique for a family special occasion, but after paying for one of his cakes, there wouldn’t be a penny left for the rest of the party! No thanks!

Michelle says on April 2nd, 2007 at 5:37 am:

Hello!!! Seen the show and that is exactly what my future husband wants to do… He is currently in Culinary School for Professional Baking and wants to specialize in cakes… Awesome show… any suggestions for externships??

mary says on January 14th, 2008 at 10:51 am:

no matter what anyone thinks about Duff’s prices, you can’t get around the fact that he is very talented, I love the show ace of cakes, and im a little bias because I have a 22 year old son who looks just like him……they could pass for twins….no kidding!!!!!!
I am also an amature cake decorater and have learned alot from just watching his show….I have made the BLT sandwish and a cake that looks like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs…..of course I can’t make some of his more elaborate cakes, but the talent that he and his staff have is something to be appreciated….for Duff it may be all about the cakes, for me its all about the talent they have and I have taped every episode and looking forward to the fourth season……Duff rules!!!!

Kim says on February 28th, 2008 at 12:17 pm:

I have to say…these cakes are amazing. My aunt had a party and we got hers from ACE OF CAKES. It was good but these cakes are amazing! I am graduating this year, and plan to get one from here.

angelica says on June 3rd, 2008 at 6:24 pm:

hey you guys make da best cakes ever 4 my sweet sixteen i am goin to you guys for my cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!