text/html; charset=utf-8" /> Lovescool – For the Love of Dessert » Blog Archive » Beginner’s Luck

August

Beginner’s Luck

I recently started reading The Alchemist, a fable about a young boy who sets out to follow his “Personal Legend,” or what he is meant to do in life. He meets an old king who tells him that when you are passionate about something in life, the universe will align to help you get it. As grand as that idea appears to be, I believe it is true. Ever since I decided I want to be a baker, the universe seems to have aligned in my favor. After leaving my full time position at Starwood Hotels, I serendipitously talked to a baker at the Polka Dot Cake Studio who invited me in for an interview. Now, having worked there for over 3 months, I am more convinced than ever that I am on the right path. It has proved to me that the reality of baking is as good as I imagined it to be, and I want to continue on.

This new found dedication has led to more opportunities from sources I never expected. A good friend of mine from my computer days introduced me to the editors at Chocolatier and Pastry Art and Design magazine, and it has turned into an invaluable learning experience. I am helping to research and write articles for the magazines, which enables me to meet people in the business and learn baking from the best in the industry.

As luck would have it, it also turns out that a separate friend of mine from my computer days wants to open a bakery. She has the business and sales experience required to do it, but does not want to actually be responsible for the baking and store operations. Luckily for me, that’s exactly what I want to do, and we make a great pair. She also happens to be a great person to work with and is just as passionate about baking as I am, which makes our partnership almost too good to be true.

All of this is still in the early stages, but I am more dedicated than ever to seeing my dream become a reality. The lesson I have learned is that it pays to follow what you are passionate about, and to tell as many people as you can about what you are doing. You never know what things from your past will resurface to help you in the future or who you will meet along the way. I just hope my experience so far isn’t all beginner’s luck.

mcf says on August 8th, 2005 at 8:19 am:

Holy crap! That’s thrilling news. I can’t imagine how it feels to be starting the hard work to make a dream come true– congratulations on being at that wonderful point.

pam says on August 8th, 2005 at 11:28 am:

i still read your blog intermittently, and it’s so inspiring to read about your blossoming baking career…i, too share the passion and desire to bake, but what that translates into for me, i a m still trying to figure out.. best of luck and keep in touch–

TCB says on August 8th, 2005 at 12:04 pm:

Congrats and best of luck! That is certainly a dream come true!!

Beastmomma says on August 8th, 2005 at 12:47 pm:

How good that you found the Alchemist at this time. I wish you great courage in these next steps. It could be beginner’s luck, but it could also be a reward for being brave.

Candy says on August 8th, 2005 at 12:52 pm:

Kelli, this is wonderful! So many good things happening!

Kelli says on August 8th, 2005 at 12:58 pm:

Thank you so much. This site is a major reason why I am where I am. All of your comments keep me going. When the editor of the magazine asked if I was a writer I said, “Uh, not really,” since I have never thought of myself as one. Then I looked back on this site and I thought to myself, well, I guess I can do it! Thanks everyone.

Cheryl says on August 8th, 2005 at 5:11 pm:

Beginners luck…NO WAY! I have a feeling you will be fanatastic at anything you do. You are destined for success Kelli and I am delighted that our paths have crossed.

Nic says on August 8th, 2005 at 10:52 pm:

Wow, Kelli. I’m thrilled for you! And, I’m inspired to read the Alchemist, myself.

Debbie says on August 8th, 2005 at 11:09 pm:

Cheryl’s comment is right on the mark…trust me. I couldn’t be more proud. And remember, we have first dibs on your guest house!

debbie says on August 9th, 2005 at 8:21 am:

Wow, Kelli, such fabulous news! Mazel tov! Can’t wait to buy your first cupcake…

McAuliflower says on August 9th, 2005 at 12:21 pm:

what a great little pep talk! So glad things are going your way. When it rains it pours?

Molly says on August 10th, 2005 at 10:25 pm:

Kelli, I only recently found your beautiful site, but your enthusiasm for baking–and for NYC–is readily obvious, and contagious. Congratulations! Can’t wait to hear more about all of it…

Nicky says on August 11th, 2005 at 3:08 pm:

Great news! It’s wonderful to see you turning your passion into a job ;)

LAURIE says on August 21st, 2005 at 8:50 pm:

I found your comments about your life & passions really inspiring – you are a forced to be reckoned with – full speed ahead!

Cynthia says on November 5th, 2005 at 11:01 pm:

It’s so true that the universe will align to help you! I found that for my civil rights passion as well! Good for you!

Candygirlmd says on November 8th, 2005 at 6:53 am:

The Alchemist is indeed a wonderful read. I must have read it 4 times. I love baking and wanted to be a professional baker too. Although I wasn’t able to pursue a career in baking, I continue to be a happy home baker. Belated Congratulations!