text/html; charset=utf-8" /> Lovescool – For the Love of Dessert » Blog Archive » Swiss Family Sprüngli

September

Swiss Family Sprüngli

Luxemburgerli

I am in Zurich, Switzerland right now, listening to the bells of the clocktower outside ring 5:00am. I am supposed to be sound asleep, but whether it is the time change or the massive amount of chocolate I ate today I am not able to keep my eyes closed for long. I am in town for a tour of the famous Lindt chocolate factory, which is located in Kilchberg, a short 4 miles from Zurich.

We landed in Zurich today and had time to explore the area on our own. Without any maps or an idea of where I was going, I set out down the street and three bakeries immediately found me. I stopped in the first one to buy a sandwich for lunch, and picked a pretzel bread rolled out in a long, tube shape. I couldn’t see the inside of the sandwich, but figured it would be harmless enough since it looked like your average Eastern European pretzel. It turned out to be a pickle and butter sandwich, which is my worst nightmare. I hate pickles and any butter on sandwiches, so this one went straight into the trash.

At the next bakery I could see a slice of ham sticking out from a croissant, and ordered that by pointing and saying the only word I know in German — bitte (please). Of course the woman identified me as a English speaker immediately and said “Oh, you want this one.” Grateful for not having to look like a mute by just pointing at things, I immediately said yes and took the sandwich outside without asking any further questions. I was relieved to find it actually was a ham sandwich, but to my surprise it had about a cup of cream cheese filling on the inside. I see this town is certainly not health conscious! After my lunch needs had been met, I set out to explore the town without any intention of stopping in another bakery, but then I saw Confiserie Sprüngli just steps from where I was standing.

Earlier today I learned that the Lindt company name is actually Lindt & Sprüngli, so I was intrigued to see a store by a similar name. Lindt focuses exclusively on chocolates, and I was surprised to see a range of cakes, chocolates and cookies for sale in Sprüngli. Intrigued by this wide offering, I made several rounds of the store and watched what the locals were buying. I quickly realized that the main draw in the store was a batch of colorful macaroons on display in the front case.

Luxemburgerli counter

Known here as Luxemburgerli, old women and young couples alike were filling large boxes with them to take home. They came in citron, mocha, chocolate, vanilla and many other flavors, and the different colored cookies looked beautiful packaged together in a box.

Luxemburgerli display

I’m usually not a fan of macaroons, but since they seemed to be the most popular choice and I could easily order a box by pointing, I opted to take home an assortment myself. After purchasing my 100 g package for 8.50 CHF, I noticed the little sticker on the top said they are best eaten immediately. They didn’t have to tell me twice, and I sat down on a bench by the lake to try one.

Luxemburgerli box

I ate the chocolate Luxemburgerli first, and immediately followed it with the citron and mocha. They were fantastic and I could barely stop myself from eating the entire box. The cookies melt in your mouth, leaving behind a wonderfully flavorful and sugary taste. I believe my aversion to macaroons comes from eating older ones that have hardened, and I now understand why Sprüngli recommends eating them as soon as possible. The difference is astonishing, and I am a converted macaroon fan.

Still confused why Confiserie Sprüngli was offering a range of pastries in addition to chocolates, I asked the CEO of Lindt & Sprüngli to explain. It seems that chocolate in Switzerland is a family affair, and that Confiserie Sprüngli was started by a family member of the one that started Lindt & Sprüngli. Confiserie Sprüngli uses chocolate from Lindt to make their truffles, but they are a completely different company and all products are made separately. This talent for dessert must run in the family genes, since both companies have been going strong since the 1800s and make fantastic products.

I look forward to learning more about Lindt & Sprüngli tomorrow, I just hope I can keep my eyes open during the tour.

Confiserie Sprüngli AG
Bahnhofstrasse 21
8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Phone: +41 044 224 47 11

dawn says on September 29th, 2005 at 11:53 pm:

hi, i just want to say how scrumptious those macaroons looked and how lucky u are to be able to make a pilgrimage to the Lindt home! Yummmmmmmmmmm

Jessica "Su Good Eats" says on October 1st, 2005 at 10:16 am:

Wise choice in observing what the locals got! Sadly I have to remind people to eat my macaroons within two days, but I found that they do freeze indefinitely!

dilek says on October 1st, 2005 at 5:24 pm:

Hi Kelli,
what a suprise! I’m living near Zürich and I was today in a Sprüngli shop too! I eat this macaroons first time:) Did you see the delicious pralins with a limited wild cacao sort from Bolivia? I wish you a nice trip in Zürich!

Tea says on October 1st, 2005 at 10:22 pm:

Ahh! So lucky to be eating all that scrumptious food…I JUST ate dinner and I’m starting to drool. ^_^ Have a fun time in Switzerland!

Kelli says on October 3rd, 2005 at 3:52 pm:

What a coincidence that you were in Sprungli at the same time! I’m glad I stumbled across it on my walk, everything there was very good.

I just home and had a wonderful trip. Switzerland is so beautiful!

joey says on October 5th, 2005 at 4:18 am:

Hi there! This is my first time to visit your great blog (definitely not my last!). I was based in Zurich for 3 months some years ago for a project and Sprüngli was a regular stop on my way home from meetings :) YUM! Have lots of fun there and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

McAuliflower says on October 5th, 2005 at 6:02 pm:

Welcome back! Can’t wait to hear more tales fo pastry delights. I have childhood memories of lemon Italian Eis, and layered cakes whose layers ran up and down, not across!

Laurie says on October 5th, 2005 at 7:49 pm:

Now I know what a sprungli is! Having always loved macaroons, I know these would be a delight for me! sitting by a lake with a sprungli…what could be a better way to spend some time? Glad your trip was very fun & productive! I will look forward to learning more about “Kelli & the Chocolate Factory!” It sounds like you had a wonderful visit…I will live vicariously thru your adventures in all things sweet!

PINES says on November 23rd, 2005 at 8:54 am:

I am a chocoholic woman. Ijust love chocolate especially dark chocolate with mint. I’ve tried macaroons de Paris at bizu Greenbelt makati and my favorite flavor is rose and coffee.

Jane says on November 27th, 2005 at 3:34 pm:

They look lovely.

Bonnie says on December 17th, 2005 at 12:42 pm:

I want to say that these are the best.
A friend of ours would bring my family a box of these home from Switzerland every trip she made. How can we order these now?

Jutta says on February 11th, 2006 at 12:02 pm:

Does ANYBODY know, where to buy these absolut perfectly creations here in the USA? Or even remotely know how to make them? I know, in Switzerland the recipes are top secret! Is there a Spruengli here that delivers?

JILL says on December 3rd, 2006 at 7:51 pm:

Luxembourgers can be found at burdickchocolate.com
THEY ARE GOOD, BUT HAVE TO BE EATEN WITHIN A FEW DAYS OR GET STALE. $19 FOR 15. THE HARVARD SQUARE AND THE MICE ARE YUMMY TOO.