text/html; charset=utf-8" /> Lovescool – For the Love of Dessert » Blog Archive » Birthday ’06

January
2006

Birthday ’06

Hazelnut Cake

Yesterday was another birthday for me. My mom, dad and grandma all called me to tell me that they couldn’t believe how old I was and that I made them feel old. Even my younger sister called to tell me that she’s ordering me a scooter to help me get around in my old age (although she told me that last year too, and I’m still waiting for my wheels!) While many other people would say I’m still young, I have to admit I can’t believe how fast the last few years have gone. Going to graduate school and living in New York can rapidly age anyone, and I think I’m starting to slow down. One thing is certain though; my cravings for sweets are still as strong as a kid’s. I think this characteristic is in my genes and will never fade. Seeing that my mom’s cookie-for-breakfast habit is still alive and well, I know I have a few good years left in me.

When it came time to choose my cake for this year, I decided to go with one I had actually never tried before. The Polka Dot Cake Studio makes a hazelnut cake that I have had my eyes on for awhile now, so I decided my birthday was the perfect opportunity to try it. The cake consists of two layers of genoise (vanilla) cake and hazelnut ganache, all coated in mocha buttercream and chopped hazelnuts. I prefer cakes with a vanilla base and chocolate filling/frosting, so this looked perfect. The mocha flavoring and chopped hazelnuts added a bit of variety, and it made a wonderful birthday cake.

One of the perks of working for a great owner at a great cake shop (thanks Ayse!) is that I got to use most of the ingredients already made at Polka Dot, so it only took me about 10 minutes to put the whole thing together. While assembling the cake I got greedy and overloaded on the ganache, making the filling layer particularly thick. Ideally, the cake layers and filling should be of equal proportion, but I thought I could get away with extra chocolate since it was my birthday. While the cake was good, next time I will follow the golden “equal layer” cake rule since more of the delicious genoise would have been nice. I should also work on my cake writing. Believe it or not this is the first time I’ve ever written on a cake.

Since the components I used for the cake were from the Polka Dot Cake Studio I can’t divulge details about the recipes, but I can give you tips on how to prepare a similar cake for yourself.

To prepare the hazelnut cake components:

1) Bake a vanilla cake, using your favorite recipe, in two round 8″ cake pans.

2) Prepare 1 cup of ganache (or more if you’re chocolate-greedy like me) by pouring warm cream over chopped chocolate. The general rule of thumb is to use one part cream to 2 parts chocolate. You can find more details on ganache at the Joy of Baking.com. Once the ganache has thickened slightly, mix in approximately 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts (or more to taste).

3) Prepare swiss meringue buttercream. Once the buttercream is ready, make it “mocha” by mixing in a little melted chocolate, 2 tablespoons cooled espresso and 1 tablespoon ground espresso.

Assemble the cake:

1) Remove the cakes from the pans, and cut off the domed tops to make the cakes level.

2) Place one of the layers of cake on a cake stand or plate, bottom down. Using a pastry bag with a wide tip (approximately 15mm), pipe a circle of mocha buttercream around the edge of the top of the cake, about 1/2″ tall.

3) Spoon the ganache filling in to the center of the mocha buttercream circle.

4) Place the remaining layer of cake upside down on top of the filling.

5) Spread mocha buttercream around the entire cake (this is called “crumb coating” since cake crumbs are sealed in by the frosting)

6) Coarsely chop 1 cup of hazelnuts. Using your hand, lightly press the hazelnuts along the side of the cake. Do this when the buttercream is room temperature (or slightly cooler) so the hazelnuts properly stick to the side of the cake.

As a birthday bonus, I thought I would share more about myself by answering a list of questions recently sent to me by Chan from Lick the Spoon. I couldn’t think of seven things for each category like she originally requested, so I changed it to five (hey, it’s my birthday!) Thanks for asking Chan.

Five Things To Do Before I Die:
1. Have kids.
2. Learn to speak French, so I’m considered a real “Bernard”
3. Learn to play the piano.
4. Ride in a hot air balloon.
5. Visit a national park.

Five (ok, six) Things I Cannot Do:
1. Eat without getting crumbs everywhere.
2. Walk in a straight line.
3. Remember what I actually said during a public presentation.
4. Blow out more than one candle at a time.
5. Pretend I like someone when I don’t.
6. Sing. Seriously, not one note.

Five Things That Attract Me to Blogging:
1. Being able to tell more than just my friends about great desserts I find.
2. Andrew. He said it would be good for me. He’s right.
3. Meeting people with similar interests across the world.
4. Providing a record for things I see and do. My memory is so bad I would forget it all without a blog.
5. Helping me believe I can actually start a business.

Five Things I Say Most Often:
1. Hi Drew
2. Just one more thing and then I’ll be done…
3. The passionfruit, lemon or blackout cake, but it depends (every customer asks which cake is the best at Polka Dot)
4. Get out! (meaning “no way” like Elaine on Seinfeld, not literally “get out”)
5. I’m cold

Five Books I Love:
1. Atlas Shrugged – Ayn Rand
2. Me Talk Pretty One Day – David Sedaris
3. The Alchemist – Paulo Coehlo
4. New York’s 50+ Best Places to Enjoy Dessert – Andrea DiNoto and Paul Stiga
5. The Historic Shops and Restaurants of New York – Ellen Williams & Steve Radlauer

Five Movies/DVDs That I Watch Over and Over Again:
1. Pretty Woman
2. Naruto
3. Yakitate
4. Kate & Leopold
5. Austin Powers

Five Bloggers I Want To Join In Too:
1. Nordljus
2. She Who Eats
3. Dessert Comes First
4. Mahanandi
5. Su Good Sweets

Jessica says on January 18th, 2006 at 10:25 pm:

Hey Kelli, happy birthday! You honestly don’t look a day older than me. Chocolate hazelnut cake sounds delicious. Thanks for tagging me for the meme.

Kristin says on January 18th, 2006 at 10:42 pm:

“Get Out!” You are old! That is why you are my OLDER sister! Well you will accomplish all of those things because you always do everything you set yourself out to do! Happy Birthday again mojambo!

ayse says on January 18th, 2006 at 11:46 pm:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLI!!!I think you are perfectly fine at this age and as you will see it only gets better through time.Why don’t we work on these learning French and playing piano projects together???kisses,ayse

chika says on January 19th, 2006 at 7:11 am:

Hi Kelli, so how many times did you have to blow the candles on the cake to get them all? :)

May the year to come be fuller and sweeter for you… happy birthday!

Kelli says on January 19th, 2006 at 7:41 am:

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.

Chika– I practiced taking deep breaths before blowing out my candles this year and I still only got one at a time! (We put six on the cake because it fit perfectly around the border :) ) I don’t smoke, can run a mile, but I can’t blow out my candles. Who knows why.

Karen says on January 19th, 2006 at 9:21 am:

Happy Birthday Kelli! I’m not a fan of mocha (or anything with coffee in it) but that cake looks real good. Did you eat it all or do you still have leftovers? :-)

deep says on January 19th, 2006 at 9:36 am:

OMG we have nearly the same b-day! Now I don’t feel so bad.

We’re only as old as our sweet tooth (I think it’s seven years to every human year.. wait.. that’s something.. else?)

Sedaris and sweets make me feel young.

Happy Bday (belated!)

Beastmomma says on January 19th, 2006 at 3:47 pm:

Happy Birthday! I enjoyed reading your lists and learning more about you.

keiko says on January 19th, 2006 at 4:43 pm:

Happy happy birthday, Kelli! I’d love you to make this super yummy looking cake for my birthday, I could teach you how to play the piano in return, maybe :)

cheryl says on January 19th, 2006 at 7:51 pm:

Yuuuum!!! Happy Belated Birthday Kelli. My mouth is watering.

lori says on January 19th, 2006 at 9:01 pm:

Hi Kelli! Happy Birthday! I hope it’s been a good one. I enjoyed reading your list and yes, I think I’ll answer it now and post it on my blog. These q&a’s provide a nice change from the usual blogging. Thanks! :)

Nic says on January 19th, 2006 at 10:47 pm:

Happy Birthday, Kelli. And let me say that the choice of Atlas Shrugged as one of your favorite books really made my day. It’s mine, too.

Nahal says on January 20th, 2006 at 1:47 am:

Happy Bday!!!

kisses and hugs to the best pastry chef ever xox
N

Clarice says on January 20th, 2006 at 4:28 pm:

Happy Belated Birthday, Kelli! Your #2 on your list of “5 Things to do Before I Die” made me smile :) . Bake on……

Chan says on January 20th, 2006 at 7:28 pm:

Happy Happy Happy Birthday Love!
I hope your cake was delicious and that you ate it sitting ON the table, barefoot and with your fingers! :)
Cheers to you!
Chan

PS… Thanks for playing the meme!! :)

Mona says on January 22nd, 2006 at 3:23 pm:

Shoot I’m late! Happy belated Birthday Kelli, your cake looks excellent. I hope it was a happy day!

Emily says on January 22nd, 2006 at 5:39 pm:

Happy Birthday Kelli! I love reading your blog. That’s so cool that the 50+ Best Places to Enjoy Dessert is one of your favorite books. I’ve known Andrea since I was a baby. She’s one of my mom’s best friends. My mom’s a writer too, but she hasn’t written about food…yet : )

Indira says on January 23rd, 2006 at 1:43 pm:

Happy belated birthday wishes, Kelli!

Thanks for tagging me, but I’m not big on making lists. I’m going to pass this meme for now, I hope that’s ok.

Ivonne says on January 23rd, 2006 at 10:53 pm:

Wonderful lists, first of all!

And the cake … marvellous!

Happy birthday by the way …

shauna says on January 25th, 2006 at 3:16 pm:

Clearly, I’m a little late on this one, but I believe birthdays should be celebrated all month long. Happy Birthday!

Laurie says on January 30th, 2006 at 7:05 pm:

Hey, your #1 thing on your list of things to do made “me” smile! :-) I don’t think there’s anything as too much filling for a cake…maybe too much cake, but not too much filling!

sailaja says on February 23rd, 2006 at 9:11 am:

Happy Belated Birthday..:)

Colleen says on March 3rd, 2006 at 3:09 pm:

Happy Belated Birthday Kelli!
Isn’t it exciting to know this is going to be your BEST YEAR EVER!
XOXO