text/html; charset=utf-8" /> Lovescool – For the Love of Dessert » Blog Archive » SmartMoney

July
2006

SmartMoney

Last year I attempted to make a recipe for Mini Pavlovas from Nigella Lawson’s cookbook, How to be a Domestic Goddess. It was the first time I had ever made pavlovas and they turned out terribly. I had no idea if it was my inexperience, the small electric oven I used, or if the recipe was off. I posted about my experience on a blog, and Neil Parmar from SmartMoney magazine contacted me to ask about what happened. The reporter from SmartMoney was doing a story on celebrity cookbooks that were poorly tested, resulting in recipes that didn’t work well for home cooks. I started talking to him about my experience making recipes from cookbooks, and they asked me to demonstrate the Mini Pavlova recipe for an episode of SmartMoney TV, which airs (only) on SmartMoney.com.

The last time I was on film was for an episode of Romper Room when I was five, so my experience as a TV personality is quite limited. I was nervous and planned to practice the recipe again before the crew came to film, but I was short on time. I filmed the segment, making the pavlovas for only the second time (the first being the time it failed). They came out well, but my narration could use a little help. In the end most of what we talked about was edited out, and only the points that supported the theme of the article remained. Overall the experience was really fun, and the crew was really nice and helpful.

I can no longer hide faceless behind my words on Lovescool. Here I am on SmartMoney TV (click on the “Spotlight” link)…

Mary says on July 16th, 2006 at 9:28 am:

How exciting! You sound so calm and relaxed. It came our great- really interesting clip.

(You are so pretty!)

cheryl says on July 16th, 2006 at 9:07 pm:

Wow!!! You look like you were made for TV baking!

Malini says on July 16th, 2006 at 10:59 pm:

Finally a topic dear to my heart! Instead of a book signing, the pastry chefs should pick a recipe from their new book and do a demo to the crowd.

None of your nervousness comes through, you look like you are in your element.

Maybe you can become a regular consultant for their food related shows.

Nahal says on July 18th, 2006 at 12:57 am:

you sound great!!! you look beautiful and like such an expert!! yay Kelli!!

xox

Rob says on July 18th, 2006 at 9:46 am:

You totally belong on TV — there are too many “talking heads” around now, but you are gorgeous AND knowledgeable! Yea you!

Marilyn says on July 18th, 2006 at 10:48 am:

I really enjoyed this–very informative! You did a great job.

Kelli says on July 18th, 2006 at 12:24 pm:

Thanks everyone. The usual response after people see me is, “You’re white?!?!?” :) It was fun. I do need to cut out the “Ums” from my speech.

It’s funny how things come out after they are edited. We talked about so much stuff that I would have chosen to keep in, but I guess they know their audience and perspective for the article.

Kelli says on July 18th, 2006 at 12:25 pm:

Malini– I agree about your suggestion to have chefs demo their recipes. I think they should use the cups, tspn, etc. measurements they subject on their audience! That would be very interesting.

Karen says on July 18th, 2006 at 6:49 pm:

That was great footage, Kelli. You know, you could always do a video blog of Lovescool at some point, especially if you’re including a recipe. :-)

Kelli says on July 18th, 2006 at 8:05 pm:

What a great idea Karen! I just have to get it set up properly. I’ll try to find a way to do this in the future.

Gerald says on July 18th, 2006 at 9:27 pm:

Is that your kitchen?? If it is, I’m pretty jealous!

ayse says on July 18th, 2006 at 10:33 pm:

Kelli,you look great on TV!I second with Karen’s idea of a video blog from Lovescool.Shall we send you reminder e-mails in case you get too busy with the Amai production?

Catherine says on July 19th, 2006 at 11:45 am:

You really did do well! Great segment.

Jeni says on July 19th, 2006 at 6:13 pm:

Wow…you’re so beautiful Kelli! Just like your packaging! (*^.^*)

beastmomma says on July 21st, 2006 at 9:59 am:

I agree with all the praise. That was very informative and you sounded calm. It must have been cool to see the name of your business underneath your name.

Kelli says on July 22nd, 2006 at 10:20 am:

Yes, I was pretty cool to see Amai displayed by someone other than myself! Thanks for the encouragment everyone.

Ray says on July 23rd, 2006 at 7:25 pm:

In my unbiased opinion, you are the most beautiful chef on TV or the internet. Today the internet, tomorrow the Food network, next month the world!

Andrew says on July 23rd, 2006 at 10:33 pm:

Kel, you are awesome. I feel lucky to help you lug a bazillion pounds of cookies from Queens to Harlem on a weekly basis.

Patricia Scarpin says on July 24th, 2006 at 9:20 am:

Hi!
I loved your post – couldn’t check the live performance yet, though. :)
I had the same problem with the same recipe (Nigella’s pavlovas)
I hope I can watch the footage to learn what I did wrong!

Best regards!

Jessica says on July 24th, 2006 at 10:07 pm:

Wow, you did great! You looked natural and at ease. I haven’t tried Nigella’s mini pavlovas, but I had great success with the chocolate raspberry pavlova on her site. Actually, I thought it could use less sugar, but it was delicious nonetheless. I agree that her recipes are sparse in instructions. I think she’s trying to simplify things, but I wouldn’t recommend them to novices.

Sneakeater says on August 3rd, 2006 at 4:33 pm:

Omigod. I have this like mad crush on Kelli. I hope it doesn’t start to affect my productivity or anything.

Gotta run — have to replay that video for the twentieth time.

Kelli says on August 5th, 2006 at 2:27 am:

I was suprised by the dramatic increase in sugar that was recommended. It did make the recipe turn out better, but it could have also been because I used a much better stove this time around.

Sneakeater, very funny. Thanks ;)

Pille says on August 6th, 2006 at 7:27 am:

Haven’t tried Nigella’s mini pavlovas, but I keep reading from readers outside the UK that her recipes don’t work. I’ve been using her books extensively (Feast, How to Eat, How to be a Domestic Goddess) for years now, have tried many-many of her cakes and all of them have ALWAYS turned out well. Confusing..

Gabriella says on August 16th, 2006 at 2:14 am:

That was great! Well, that is ridiculous that the measurements were not checked after conversion. Ridiculous quality control. Especially since pavlovas are so easy to make.

lori says on August 18th, 2006 at 3:51 am:

Kelli, what a terrific clip! Thanks for sharing. You seemed very at ease.