text/html; charset=utf-8" /> Lovescool – For the Love of Dessert » Blog Archive » And the winner is…

June
2007

And the winner is…

GoldenScoop Award Bucket

My little green tea cookies took home the Golden Scoop Award for Best Bakery Recipe! The award ceremony was held on June 18, 2007 at the French Culinary Institute. The award for Best Bakery Recipe was up first, and my fellow nominees included:

Caramelized Banana Bread Pudding
Sara Molinaro, Executive Baker and Jim Lahey, Owner
Sullivan Street Bakery

The Beesting
Melissa Murphy, Owner/Pastry Chef
Sweet Melissa Patisserie

I was shocked when my name was announced, and I could barely get a word out when I was called to the front of the stage. I mumbled something about how the cookies were made with matcha, and how we were opening a store on 3rd Avenue. Judiaann Woo and Chocolatina (aka, Martin Howard) then handed me my GoldenScoop award bucket, with a nice check for $1,000 tucked inside. The bucket now sits on my bookshelf, but I’ll certainly move it to the store once it’s open.

The awards were given last week, but this is the first time I’ve been able to get to a computer to share the news. I departed for a family vacation to Alaska the day after the awards ceremony was held. I was trying to take a little break in before the store opens, but it seems like there is no good time to escape these days. New York Magazine was able to get together some information in my absence, and put up a nice post about the upcoming store. I feel like a VIP now that “Kelli Bernard” is its own tag on the site.

Like every event I go to that is sponsored by PastryScoop.com, my favorite part about these awards is meeting great chefs from around the country. Two of my favorites from outside of New York included Shane Tracey, Owner/Chocolatier of KeKau Chocolatier in Oregon who won the award for Best Confection and Melanie & Wilhelm Wanders of Chocolaterie Wanders in Virginia, a nominee for Best Confection.

To read more about the awards you check out the official press release at PastryScoop.com.

Mariko says on June 30th, 2007 at 4:41 pm:

Congratulations! You totally deserve it. Those cookies are DELICIOUS!

cheryl says on June 30th, 2007 at 7:31 pm:

Congrats Kelli on your award! I am so happy for you.

Ray says on June 30th, 2007 at 8:14 pm:

Congratulations, Kelli, on yet another victory on your path to success! And by the way, I googled your name and you now take up all of page 1 of the search results. You are on you way! Ps. word on the street is that Mrs. Fields has a contract on you :)

caitlyn says on June 30th, 2007 at 8:42 pm:

Congratulations, Kelli! Your cookies are delicious and totally deserved to win the award!

Malini says on July 1st, 2007 at 12:35 am:

Congratulations Kelli! Here’s wishing you many more awards and great success. You have earned it.

So happy for you.

Debbie says on July 1st, 2007 at 10:23 am:

Congratulations – you have done an outstanding job going from internet architect to professional baker. You have more than earned this award.

Robyn says on July 1st, 2007 at 7:34 pm:

Holy crap AWESOOOME! Congratulations! I look forward to trying those cookies. :)

shuna fish lydon says on July 2nd, 2007 at 3:18 pm:

CONGRATULATIONS!

It seems that the stars are not aligned so that we will meet… but I imagine your vacation was well worth it!

Do you know Martin Howard’s work? I worked for him years ago and he is a stunningly brilliant pastry chef. Dominique Ansel’s desserts, who also won an award that night, is worth making a dessert only pilgrimage for!

I’d like to teach in NYC this September… Might you have time to make any kitchen ideas/recommendations for me? Thanks.

Wilhelm says on July 2nd, 2007 at 9:08 pm:

Congratulations again and continued success with your business!

And thanks for linking to us ;) Next time we are in NYC we are sure to visit your store!

nahal says on July 2nd, 2007 at 10:15 pm:

yay!!!!!!!!!!

Kristin says on July 3rd, 2007 at 7:56 pm:

YAYAYAYAYAY! You pretty much rock! Congrats!

Kelli Bernard says on July 4th, 2007 at 1:18 pm:

Thank you everyone. It was a great night.

Shuna- I haven’t had desserts from Martin or Dominique, but I would love to. They both obviously have amazing talents. Martin Howard is certainly a character as well – he showed up wearing fishnets and a jacket (only) and did a song and dance before presenting the awards with Judiaann Woo. The running joke of the night was that whomever won best dessert menu (like Howard did the year before) would have to dress in drag and present at next year’s GoldenScoop awards. Good luck to Dominique ;)

keiko says on July 9th, 2007 at 8:26 am:

What great news, Kelli – congratulations! Although it must have been a stressful time for you, I know you’ll go through all this brilliantly like you’ve always have! Hope you’re feeling better now, take care and look forward to hearing more about the new store. kx

Oishii Eats says on July 15th, 2007 at 1:19 pm:

WOW…seriously every time I check out Lovescool…there is always something exciting happening. Congratulations Kelli!

Salli Vates says on August 28th, 2007 at 10:16 pm: